The Yahoo Anti Spyware is part of the Yahoo Toolbar and it can be a very useful tool for removing dangerous programs. It doesn’t cost a thing, making it one of the best options for users looking for free software to fight off adware and spyware.
What is Spyware?
Technically it’s not a virus; it’s a program used to detect the browsing habits of a user. It’s become synonymous with adware. However, some versions have been known to hog system resources. This can lead to lower system performance. In addition, the spyware can retrieve other personal information on your hard disk or network.
The Software Features
The Yahoo Anti Spyware comes automatically with the Yahoo Toolbar. In addition it comes with a popup blocker. Popups are those annoying windows that open when you click certain links. They’re usually harmless, but they can crowd the screen. The popup blocker can remove this.
The program itself is easy to use. Once you run it, the scanner will check your hard disk for any spyware. Once found, it will present you with options on what to do. It can delete these programs. Adware are also detected and can be deleted.
The Toolbar itself lets you customize your lists of favorite sites. You can also customize it without having to use your ID, which is convenient.
The Yahoo Anti Spyware runs on Windows 98/2000/Me/XP and Vista. It also needs at least Internet Explorer version 5.5 or higher. It is freeware and it doesn’t expire. Apart from the anti adware features, it also comes with email functions. It also has search features. It lets you add other items like news. With the information on the toolbar, you don’t have to look for the data on the Web.
Tips and Warnings
- To maintain its efficiency, download the latest versions. Spyware and other malware are always evolving. Keep this software updated and you can keep those popups and malware down.
- Check the Yahoo Anti Spyware help files for tips on using it properly. If you have another anti adware program installed, it may cause problems. Since you won’t be using them at the time, it probably won’t cause a problem. But it’s best to be sure, so delete it.
- Even if you have the Yahoo Toolbar, that doesn’t mean you should disable or remove your antivirus software. This program is used for spyware and adware. If there is a virus in your system, it might affect the toolbar. The best solution is to have both the anti adware/spyware along with the antivirus.
- There are programs similar to it. Remove them all before you install the Yahoo Toolbar. While the program can work with Internet Explorer and Firefox, you should download browser patches to ensure everything runs smoothly.
- The Yahoo Anti Spyware is a free application, and it performs the scans quickly. Given this fact, there’s no reason not to give it a try. If it works for you, then there is no need to pay for an expensive program that does the same thing.