Windows Media Player (also known as WMP) is one of the computer applications developed by Microsoft that helps people play, store and retrieve audio and video files in their computers and laptops. To use this application in synchronous streaming of video and audio, it is important that you properly install an MP4 codec in your computer. With the use of this codec, you can download video and audio files from the Internet and store them in your laptop or music player.
How do I install a Windows Media Player MP4 codec? There are two ways of installing the codec in your computer. The first method is by downloading it from Microsoft and the other is by purchasing a mega codec pack from K-Lite. In order to install the MP4 codec successfully, you need to be sure that the computer that you will use features the minimum system requirements.
Minimum System Requirements
- A laptop or PC with any of these operating systems, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista
- 512 megabytes RAM
- 128 megabytes available space on the hard disk
- Windows Media Player
- Internet connection
Instructions for Installing WMP MP4 Codec with the Use of Microsoft’s Official Codec Package
- Launch the Internet browser. Visit www.microsoft.com and go to Downloads and Trials.
- Check the Downloads Center. At the left panel, select Windows Media. All the files related to Windows Media Player will automatically be downloaded in your computer.
- Go to the page of Windows Media and type codec in the search box. Look for the result that pertains to Codec Installation Package for Windows Media Player 7.1.
- Validate the codec that will be downloaded and installed.
- After the file was downloaded, run it and follow the prompts to successfully install the MP4 codec.
Instructions for Installing WMP MP4 Codec Pack from K-Lite
- Visit www.free-codecs.com.
- Select K-Lite Mega Codec Pack or K-Lite Codec Pack at the left portion of the page.
- Select the button that says Download the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.
- After downloading the computer application, run the program in your computer or laptop.
- Follow the instructions carefully to install the codec appropriately.
Tips and Warning
- To avoid hassles and delays, it is important that you have a reliable and fast Internet connection.
- Be sure that you only visit the mentioned websites because some sites that offer free downloads of MP4 codec can load computer viruses and spyware in your laptop or PC while you install the program.