One of the type of files developed by Microsoft that provide synchronous audio and video, Windows Media Video (also known as WMV) is a compressed format that is very easy to play. This format is created and launched by the company to enhance media streaming and broadcasting applications that are suitable for the Internet. Because of the support given by the Society for Motion Picture and Television Engineers, WMV was adapted for different physical-delivery programs like Blu Ray Disc and HD DVD.
How do I play WMV files? There are some important steps that you need to follow in order to play these files in your computer. In addition to these, it is also necessary that the laptop or personal computer that you will use have the minimum system requirements.
Minimum System Requirements for Windows-Based Computers
- Any of these operating systems, Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet, Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows Vista
- 233 megahertz processor
- 64 megabytes RAM
- DVD or CD drive
- 28.8 kilobits per second modem
- 16-bit sound card
- Super VGA screen resolution
- Video card with 64 megabytes of RAM
- Headphones or speakers
- Microsoft ActiveSync
- Netscape 7.1 or Microsoft Internet Explorer 6
- Check if the computer is already loaded with Windows Media Player program. Update the version of the program to use it efficiently in playing Windows Media Video files. If you do not have the program, you can download it at Windows Media Player Download site.
- To play the files, open the Windows Media Player program of the computer.
- Select the files that you want to play. If you do not want to use the Windows Media Player program, you can use other computer programs like Winamp, DivX and VLC but be sure that these have WMV codecs.
Tips and Warnings
- If you are using an Apple computer, you can still use the program by installing the Windows Media Player program. Follow the instructions carefully to download and install it properly in your computer. As soon as the program was installed, you can start listening to WMV files.
- On the other hand, if you are using a laptop with Linux operating system, you need to install a computer program that feature codec that is suitable for the files. Some of the efficient software that you can download are Package, Essential Media, Xine and VLC player. When the program was installed, you can start playing audio and video files with the WMV format.