Regardless of the application you use, there are many ways of erasing browser history. Below are the methods you can use for the most popular applications.
- Internet web browser
- History removing software (optional)
- Internet connection
For this software you should go to the Tools menu. Click Options and press the Privacy button. There’ll be a button there called History. Click the Clear button and the files will disappear.
Internet Explorer 6 and Up
There are two ways of removing cached files in this application. First you open the program. Click the Tools menu and go to Internet Options. The Delete Files will be present among the options. Click it and the process of erasing browser history will commence. Depending on how numerous the files are, this can take a few moments.
You can also delete these files after every online session. Go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options. Select the Advanced options and go to Security. Apply a check mark next to the message Empty Temporary Internet Files when Browser is Closed.
If you’re using Internet Explorer for the Mac, head over to System. Choose Preferences and then Explorer. Drag the history over to the bin.
If it’s not yet open, double click the program. Choose your profile if necessary. Erasing browser history is particularly easy here. Click Edit and select Preferences. Head over to History and click the Clear History button.
Click the File menu and select Preferences. There will be a History, Empty History or just Empty button. It depends on what version you use. Either way just click it to delete the files. The Clear on Exit button automatically deletes the cache files when you go offline. This is a good option for those who don’t want to go through the process over and over.
Tips and Warnings
- Check the help files in your software first. There are new versions being released. They usually don’t change the locations or methods of erasing browser history. However some of them do. Some even alter the names or buttons to click. By checking the help files you won’t get confused.
- If you are on a network, check the guidelines for removing these files. Proceed only if the administrator allows users to do it.
- Besides providing privacy, clearing these files helps your browser load faster. Some of them take a long time to load if the cache folder is crammed. By removing these files, the loading process is hastened.
- You can also delete the files one by one in the Temporary Internet Files folder. This is the one used by Internet Explorer. Other programs have different folder names. They may be found in the programs’ subfolders. There are also several applications, both free and shareware that can do the job for you.
- Knowing the ways of erasing browser history is essential knowledge for all Net users. It allows you to keep prying eyes away from your computer. Although you can use Internet removal software, the steps above will do just fine.