There’s no need to pay for expensive applications when you can download free antivirus software. There are several places where you can get them.
Tech Oriented Sites
One of the best places to find them are tech sites. There are many advantages to be had here. One of them is that there are several reviews. These come from both the editor and consumers. It gives you insight to the programs around. You’ll know which are highly recommended and what must be avoided.
In addition, they keep their versions updated. You get to see how often they’ve been downloaded and other information too. These sites usually have mirrors so you can use other links to download free antivirus software.
Search engines are other great sources. Aside from the vendors’ pages, you’ll also find links to other useful sites as well. There are many types of search engines today. However, most of them will display the same result on the first few pages.
The Manufacturer’s Website
Once you find some applications, you can just go to the website. The direct approach has many advantages. You’ll be able to see plenty of information there. Usually the site will also have links to other useful applications. By visiting the home page, you’ll get to download free antivirus software plus learn information about viruses too.
Sometimes the best place to get these applications will be forums and discussion groups. It’s not unusual to see links posted there. These won’t just take you to the right software. Most of the time you’ll also get to read useful information for keeping your computer safe.
It’s also a good place to ask questions about problems. If you can’t get the application to work, forums are good places to ask questions. They’ll usually post links to patches and solutions too.
Tips and Warnings
- Read the system requirements before you download free antivirus software. Also look for any info on the site about conflicts with other programs. Most of the time, these applications are trouble free to install. But it’s best to be sure.
- After installing the program, read the help file. Make certain that the update is set to auto or at the very least on. You can have it inform you of an update or let it do the task automatically. Either way, you must do it. There are usually two kinds, the program and virus list updates. If you only have time to update one, choose the latter.
- Don’t buy pirated CDs that claim to have free applications of this sort. They won’t work. Installing and updating pirated software can damage your system.
- Learn its various settings. Most will work fine on the default conditions. However, it’s important that you know the other options. This will be necessary in case of system conflicts. It can also come in handy if a problem with its setup occurs.
- There are a lot of places you can download free antivirus software. Given this fact, there’s just no excuse not to have one in your system.