You don’t need to be an expert to reset a Dell BIOS password. There are however a few tools that you need to have should you decide to do this.
- Motherboard manual or user guide
- Dell computer user guide
- Dell Service Tag
- Dell Express Service Code
- Recovery software (optional)
- Internet access
- Registration card
Method 1: Change the Motherboard Jumpers
Get your motherboard manual and look at the motherboard diagram. Look for the password jumper. There should be a mark or label there indicating which one it is. This is usually the 3 pin CMOS jumper.
When you see it, open the computer case. If necessary take the user guide and compare the layout. The pins will be labeled or on “1” and “2”. To reset a Dell BIOS password, pull off the two jumpers. Place them on the number 2 and 3 pins. Leave them there for 5 seconds. Now, pull the jumpers off and set them on pins 1 and 2.
Method 2: Call Technical Support
In some cases only a call to technical support will allow you to recover it. What the technical support will do is use the master password. This is similar to the backdoor password used by other companies. This is a code that will work on most models.
Before you call technical support, make sure you have the Service Tag and the Express Service Code. Having your registration card may also be required so take it with you too. When you have all the necessary information, call the technical support staff and they will reset a Dell BIOS password.
Method 3: Use Recovery Software
There are several programs on the Internet designed to reset and recover these types of data. You just have to go online. At your favorite search engine, enter your computer name and model along with “password recovery” or something similar.
If you can’t find a specific software, you can post a message on a forum. Post the pertinent data (computer model, BIOS settings etc). There are plenty of forums on the Net, so you can set the message in as many forums as possible.
When you get the software, download and install it. Follow the instructions so you will be able to reset a Dell BIOS password.
Tips and Warnings
- Be careful when you adjust the jumpers on the BIOS and CMOS settings. If you make a mistake, you might damage the PC or erase other data. Double check the manual to avoid mistakes. Be certain that the computer is turned off before attempting this.
- This procedure is for Dell computers only. If you are using other models, check the user guides for the appropriate steps to take. Also, some Dell models have unique specifications and troubleshooting techniques. Refer to the user guides for more info.
- Learning how to reset a Dell BIOS password is easier now than it has been in the past. As long as you take the right precautions you won’t have any problems getting this right.