By learning how to delete Internet history files, you get to remove any traces of what sites you’ve been visiting. At the same time, removing these files can make your browser work much faster.
- Web browser
- History cleaning software (optional)
Internet Explorer 6.x and Up (Windows)
- Double click the program to open it. Now go to the Internet Options at the Tools menu. There will be a “Delete Files” button there. Click it. The files will now be removed.
- You can also remove the history when you exit the browser. Go to the Internet Options and click “Advanced”. Place a check mark on the “Empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed”. This feature is found under the Security tab.
Internet Explorer 4.x (Macintosh)
This is how to delete Internet history files in IE for the Mac. Just click the hard drive icon. Go to System and then Preferences. Go to “Explorer” and drag the history into the bin.
If you use this browser, you should go to the Tools menu. Select “Options”. There will be a “Privacy” tab. Click it and you will see “History”. Press the “Clear” button and all the files will be erased.
Open the browser. Depending on the version you may need to choose your profile first. When the software loads, click Edit, Preferences. Go to “History” and press “Clear History”.
Here is how to delete Internet history files in this browser. Go to the File menu and choose “Preferences”. You’ll see the “History” there. Just click “Empty History” or “Empty”. Like Internet Explorer, you have the option of deleting the files after each session. Just set a check on the “Clear on Exit” box.
Tips and Warnings
- Most browsers allow you to set a date when all these files can be removed automatically. In Internet Explorer, go to the Internet Options at the Tools menu. You’ll see something like “Days to keep files”. The default number is 20 days. You can enter any number you like. Other browsers have similar features. By learning how to delete Internet history files manually and automatically, you’ll have more options.
- Make sure that you want all these files deleted. Browsers keep these files for easy retrieval. They can also be viewed offline. So make sure that you don’t need them anymore.
- There are commercially available applications that will erase thesefiles for you. Although the manual process is easy, some prefer to use these programs. They offer more flexibility and options. They also automate the process. This may be handy for those who forget to delete the files after a session.
- Alongside the remove history options in browsers are options for deleting cookies. These are placed by some websites in your system. You can delete them too for more privacy. Keep in mind though, that some websites require them before you can visit their pages.
- If you want to maintain your privacy, knowing how to delete Internet history files is a must. Even if you’re not concerned about privacy, erasing these files will make your browser move and load quicker.