America Online (also known as AOL) is one of the websites that offer free email messaging services to computer users. To prevent the occurrence of security breach, this site allows people to assign a password for their email account. To secure the identity of people who have email accounts at AOL, the website encourages them to change their passwords regularly.
How can I change my AOL password? Changing your password at America Online is very easy. The steps are simple and you will not spend much time in assigning a new password for your email account. However, to prevent experiencing problems, you have to be sure that the computer that you will use has all the system requirements.
Minimum System Requirements
- PC or laptop that features any of these operating systems, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista
- 512 megabytes RAM
- Reliable and fast Internet connection
- Launch the web browser in your computer and look for the AOL toolbar.
- Choose the link pertaining to change password.
- A new window will appear and you need to type your old password in the appropriate box.
- Look at the new password box and type a new password.
- Retype your new password and choose change password.
- Press enter and a page confirming your new password will appear.
- Go back to the main page of AOL.
- Log in using your screen name and new password to check if you have changed your password successfully.
Tips and Warnings
- Do not provide other private information when registering or logging in at AOL to avoid security breach.
- You only need to provide a screen name and password to sign in.
- Avoid providing bank accounts as well as credit card information.
- If you have several accounts at America Online, use different passwords for the accounts.
- Do not tell your password at AOL to anyone to avoid the chances that other people can view your emails.
- Change your password on a regular basis.
- In case you receive spam or emails from computer users that you do not know, avoid downloading attachments because these may contain viruses or tracking cookies.
- If scam artists have tricked you about your password, the best thing to do is to change your email password at AOL immediately.
- Whenever you have downloaded attachments or email messages that have viruses, tracking cookies or spyware, report the incidence as soon as possible to America Online Customer Service or call the hotline at 1-888-265-6304.